Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Ibiza, Espalmador And Mallorca.

Well we both overslept and the clocks must have been ringing for well over an hour. Finally I got up and woke up Filip, who jumped out of bed in no time and as the tender was ready I ferried him to the hotel pier at the end of the bay. He quickly jumped off and it was late at 04:40, as his plane was scheduled for 06:00 and he had to find a taxi at that h of the night. He managed well and today I received an email that both him and William had arrived well in Sweden. Ugh that was a close call. 

That night as I was speaking to Chris, the bay started to roll and during the night is became worth with 2-3 m waves rolling in  with 4-6 seconds between them and slightly off the wind. The effect was that all yachts were rolling like mad. New Dawn rolled so much that I got sea water through the sinks. The next door yachts, rolled so violently that I thought she would get a knock down. I contemplated lifting anchor, but decided against it, as it would have been dangerous to go on deck alone and lift anchor in those conditions. So I bit my lip hoping for the best, but as soon as it was light, off we went and it was still rolling like mad. I assume some of the boats closer to the beach might have ended up in troubles.

I sailed to Espalmador Island, which is a wonderful privately owned island and has a great beach with a salt and mud lake behind the beach. So I went to have the traditional mud bath and went back to the beach for it to dry and crack, as well as smelling awful..... Then a wash in the sea, well two, to get off the mud and I was born again. 

The anchorage is very full and during the week-end it was unbearable. Yesterday it became too much with large motor yachts on both side of me and plenty of sailing boats, anchored so close that I could from my deck hold conversations with the owners and skippers. 

So yesterday I lifted anchor and sailed to the NE of Ibiza and anchored in Cala St Vincents. This bay must have been great, before they build all these horrible hotels, etc. Now it is awful and it also rolled, but it served me to cut down the distance to Mallorca.

So one night was more than enough and this morning, at 06:00, I lifted anchor and sailed to Mallorca. I had an awful sail of 11 h in winds on the nose (totally unannounced) of 15-34 kn, so instead of Palma I ended up in Cala de Sta Ponsa on the SW coast of Mallorca. I just could not sail the last 15 Nm to Palma. In any case the bay is nice and now calming, but has many yachts an anchor, but there is space enough.

No comments: