Sunday, July 1, 2012

Cala Fornells, Mallorca.

For the third day we have had a nasty W swell and have done a non stop Rock'n Roll. It rolled so much that I, in the end, gave up polishing. Today as we were Rocking and Rolling, we had a thunderstorm and a great clean rain which washed New Dawn wonderfully well. 

Late PM the wind dropped, but within 30 sec it sounded like a freight train running wild down a hill and we received 55 kn wind right into the bay. Panic all over. Fortunately I don't like to be squeezed in between all the other yacht and was anchored well out from them. That paid well for me again. Most yachts dragged, many banged into each other and dragged together. It was only a question about time before we all would be in a big mess. I started the engine as a precaution and to take off the pressure of the anchor. 

But it became clear that I had to move, so with great difficulty - remember I have no Auto working - I lifted anchor, but was unable to lower the anchor riding sail, and sailed slowly up against the wind. The waves were large enough to roll over the deck and bye bye clean New Dawn, as she is now covered again in salt. Many of the yacht that also tried to leave, did not have the engine power to sail against such a strong wind and the waves were quickly building up.

I dropped anchor on the other side of the bay in Cala Fornells, where it is deep at 12 m and also has poor holding, so I let out 65 m chain. The sun shines again as I write this at 19:10, and the wind moderated. So we can hopefully get a good nights rest. About ten other yachts followed my example and are now anchored around me.

What an evening; ugh, that was a close call.

I will have to move back to Santa Ponca early Monday morning as the Simrad chaps will arrive hopefully with yet another Drive Motor.


 My new Anchorage for just a night as the wind was moderating.





No comments: