Monday, June 25, 2012

Things Don't Come Cheap On Yachts!

Today the Simrad agent was back and did some, what I think, good work. When we tested it, unfortunately the 8 devises (allowing current to pass only in one direction) he had installed instead of the relays did not work and it transpired that they only work with constant current, which is not the case with Auto, as it works on impulses. So off they went shopping again. 

In any case we have time, as I ran into another problem. I wanted the Auto Drive Motor serviced to ensure it was not part of the Auto problem. I have noted it take a lot of power, I feel it makes noises and heats up too much.

So here the fun started. First in Spain they can't get just the motor and I was told to buy a complete new Auto system, costing well over EUR 5.000. Then I said we could have the old motor repaired. OK but only in Holland do they do these repairs and it would take 3 weeks (at least). Then Holland told us they don't repair these motors, etc, etc.. Then I was told that Simrad Barcelona had an old repaired motor, but I never received its cost. Then we worked on a swap an old for a new, but that too fell apart.

Finally I went back to my trusted Simrad friends in DK and N and DK gave me the part no, which we communicated to ES and NL and DK also took contact with NL.

And voila we could now get a new motor, but the cost is steep at close to EUR 700, plus installation and the lot. 

So there we are and it proved again that some persuasion can give results.

Still have to sort out the wind instrument that stopped in St Martin. Am told it will cost over EUR 500 plus...? But can it be connected via the NMEA 0183? Still to be checked.

As I had again for the X no of times the aft cabin taken apart, I serviced again the batteries. I have 8 x 165-185 Ah batteries and I serviced them before we set out from St Martin 1 1/2 months ago. Interesting just the 5 of them needed 5 litre of distilled water. This is sailing in warm climates.







No comments: